Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Voting...Who to Pick and The Parenting Opportunity


Today I took two of my babies on a field trip.  We went to vote.


This has been quite an interesting experience as Olivia has been asking lots of questions about the election, president, etc.  I have tried to be neutral in my explanation while not feeling neutral at all.  I have tried to explain how and why we choose who we vote for and the very basics of each candidates point-of-view.  

In my quest to provide factual information to my kids I came upon two pieces that helped me and may help you.  While I see tons of "bashing" I do think it is important to show my kids where there is good.  While this is hard when one is opposed to one candidate so strongly, I am trying to show them a bigger picture, which is to see good in everybody.

The first was something that was posted on Facebook.  I think it is good for a church to not avoid this topic altogether and thought this approach was wise.  Here it is...exactly as she typed it.

.......

"I have already voted, but this was from my SIL's Pastor's sermon this weekend. I think it sums up how Christians should vote. If you are offended take it up with God's word. He said it, not me!

Seven Convictions that help Determine My Vote:

1) I will vote for the most pro-Israel candidates, because God promises to bless those who bless Israel & curses those who don't (Gen.12:3).

2) I will vote
for the most pro-life candidates, because God hates the shedding of innocent blood (Prov.6:17).

3) I will vote for the most Pro-marriage candidates because God is for marriage as defined in (Gen. 2:24).

4) I will vote for the most pro-debt reduction candidates, because the borrower is servant to the lender (Prov.22:7).

5) I will vote for the candidates that most closely believes that government’s purpose is to reward the good and punish the evil (Rom 13).

6) I will vote for the most pro-work candidates because God says if a man does not work he does not eat (2 Thess 3:10).

7) I will vote as closely as I can to God’s Word because God’s Word is inspired. (2 Tim 3:16)"

.......

The second piece I got came in my Inbox.  I subscribe to a blog and I really love everything she has to say.  It always gives me "food for thought."  Click here the beginning of wisdom to see what she said in "the parenting opportunity of election day."  You won't be sorry and you could spend hours on her blog.  I can say it gave me a new perspective and helped shape the way I spoke to my kids about this day, the candidates, and the possible outcomes.
 
.......
 
I often try to stay "light" here on Mama Bouchard but felt compelled to share this with you no matter which way you lean.  I think it is good insight and since I live in school mode now I definitely like this as a teaching and learning opportunity for voters, parents, and children.  Maybe you agree and you will come back, maybe you will never click my way again.  No matter what you do...VOTE...it matters!
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...