Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Knee Socks...They're Back


Style.  I'd like to think I have some but I am not one of those people who has ever been a trendy person.  I always have the basics and never enough accessories.  I love shoes but wear them way past their prime.  If my jeans still fit I can't imagine why I need a new pair.  Have you pegged me yet?

  As I look back on my seven years as a parent I think I have dressed my kids the same way.  Don't get me wrong, they look cute but I never give it the added "Pow!"  I always think it is a waste of money but envy every child who has the extra zing.  I think, "I could do that if I would just take the few extra minutes."  But then I get too nervous that I will never make it look right or cute or spunky enough.  So, here is my first attempt.  I am laying all of my style insecurities in front of you.

Olivia and I were shopping in Target a few weeks back.  I was looking in her section for leggings and tights but got totally distracted by the knee highs.  They were so cute and colorful and screaming at me.  The best part was Olivia liked them too.  The awesome part was they were on sale for $1.48 a pack!  We bought two packs.  Guess which one she chose?


 So the very insecure style side of me left them in the drawer for two weeks.  I blamed it on the heat.  Then the day came when I could no longer hide from my insecurities.  She was counting on me to make these work.  So, late one night last week, when they were all asleep, I tiptoed into her room (where she does not sleep...another story), flipped on the bright lights, flung open the closet doors and got to work.  I was sweating.  My head was spinning.  This is what perfectionism does to you.  I just kept repeating this little line I had read on a blog earlier that day, "Kids clothes should be fun, not all matchy matchy."  This is what I stared at for at least 30 minutes.


 I even went back to my computer and Goggled, "kids knee high socks outfits."  I was desperate.  Go ahead and laugh.

I went back and stared for another 30 minutes and came up with nothing.  So I went to bed.  Surely it would come to me.  

I awoke with a knot in my stomach the next morning, but once I saw her excitement that I was finally letting her wear them I had to go through with it.  So here is what I came up with.  





 I hope you liked it.  Maybe you are inspired to try something new.  If nothing else...remember this...Let your kids have fun with their clothes.  It is an extension of who they are, not who you are.  Trust me, I am preaching to the choir.

Stay tuned.  I might drag you along on some of my future style attempts.

Now...go out...buy some knee highs...just don't lose sleep over it.




2 comments:

  1. The last picture is definitely a fave!!!! Trynt make knee high socks popular in our household!!! Who knew it would be a trend??? HA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that! How could I forget? I should have given him total credit on this because he was on to this last year! Love that boy and miss him so much! Loved the blue hair tonight!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...