Monday, August 29, 2011

Crock Pot Roast With A Twist...and A "Side"

Ok, so I would not normally do something like this but I think this is going to be best for searching the recipes down the road.  Here is what I have done; please forgive me if you are a creature of habit...like me.  I feel your pain.  I am going to insert the recipes into the main blog page.  Then I will create a hyperlink for each recipe on the Home Cookin' Page, or you will be able to use the search function on the main page from here forward.  This will be better in the long run, I promise.  :) 

Crock Pot Roast With A Twist...and A "Side"

Recipe from Southern Living
...but slightly altered so it can cook all day in my house

Ingredients for the Roast:
1 (4 lb.) boneless top chuck roast 
(Make sure to buy chuck roast if you want it to pull apart easy.)
2 tsp. fajita seasoning
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 (14.5 oz) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
2 cups water
 Directions for the Roast:
1. Rub both sides of the roast evenly with fajita seasoning.
2. Cook roast in hot oil in a large dutch oven (or skillet) over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until brown on all sides.
                                      
     Here is where I veer off course...a little.  I throw mine in the crock pot.  I want it to cook for 8 hours.  Perfect so that I am not trying to do this halfway through a day and all you "outside of the home" working ladies can do it in the a.m. and dinner is done when you get home.  Or you could do the frying part at night, throw it in the crock pot, stick it in the fridge, add the tomato mixture in the morning and be done with dinner...by 7 a.m....woohoo!  
                                                 
3. Combine stewed tomatoes and 2 cups of water.  Pour over the roast.
4. Cover and set your crock pot on low for 8 hours.  If your crock pot doesn't have an automatic off, go buy one that does.  Best.Thing.Ever.
5. Pull your roast out and place it in a large dish.  Shred the roast using two forks.  Now, you can smother the roast with the tomatoes or put them in a side dish and let everyone get what they want.
**The secret to get my kids to eat them you wonder?  I make their plate at the stove and cut the tomatoes up in the meat.  Works every time!**

6.  I like to serve mine over rice.  If you have "kicked" the carbs...you will still love it anyway...forget you saw that juice seeping out from under the rice in my picture ;)

Seasoned Green Bean "Side"

Recipe from Southern Living

Ingredients for Green Beans:
6 cups water
1 Tbsp. Greek seasoning
1.5 lbs. thin fresh green beans, trimmed
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. Greek seasoning

Directions for Green Beans:
1. Cut tips off of each end of the green beans.
2. Bring 6 cups water and 1 Tbsp. Greek seasoning to a boil in a Dutch oven (or as we simple people use...a pot) over high heat.

3.  Add the prepared green beans.  Cook 6 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.

4.  Remove the cooked beans, draining well.  Wipe the dutch oven dry with a paper towel.

5. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add green beans and 1/2 tsp. Greek seasoning, tossing to coat; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until heated through.

I hope your family enjoys this dish as much as mine does...and it's ok to let them think you cooked all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...