Thursday, April 18, 2013

Strawberry Explosion Cupcakes



Here is how this works.  I rip recipes out of magazines and compile them like nobody's business.  This is one of them.  Thank you Southern Living.  It is actually dated 2004 and came into use, first, when we lived in Texas.  I was frequently sending goodies into Man's work when his fellow worker sent home a challenge.  He wanted the strawberriest (it is a word now) dessert I could make.  I like a good challenge.  I dug deep into my arsenal and found this.  Heaven...  I don't typically share a recipe that is this good.  No true Southern woman does.  But, I can't help myself.  If this could win a proposal, a night off from dishes, whatever...I feel the need to help a girl out.  So, without further ado...

Originally Titled by Southern Living
 Triple-Decker Strawberry Cake

for purposes of this post I have renamed it 

Strawberry Explosion Cupcakes
Recipe by Southern Living 


** This is the first time I have made this recipe into cupcakes.  I highly recommend the cake version, the girls just wanted cupcakes.  :)  **

Ingredients

1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 milk
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Garnish: whole strawberries

  1. Beat cake mix and next 7 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute.  Scrape down sides, and beat at medium speed 2 more minutes, stopping to scrape down sides, if needed.  (Strawberries should be well blended into batter.)
  2. Pour batter into 2 (12-count) muffin pans or 3 greased and floured 9-inch cakepans.  *Please note...my very best efforts did not yield easy to remove cupcakes.  Use liners!
  3. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly pressed with finger.  *My cupcakes baked in about 16 minutes.  Keep a close eye on them.
  4. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks. 
  5. Spread Strawberry Buttercream Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.  Garnish if desired.  *I piped mine onto my cupcakes.  I love frosting!  
 To Make Ahead- Place finished cake in the refrigerator, uncovered, and chill for 20 minutes or until the frosting sets.  Cover well with wax paper, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.  To freeze, wrap chilled cake with aluminum foil, and freeze up to 6 months.  Thaw cake overnight in the refrigerator.

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Recipe from Southern Living 

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
2 (16-ounce) packages powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 20 seconds or until fluffy.  Add powdered sugar and chopped strawberries, beating at low speed until creamy.  (Add more sugar if frosting is too thin, or add strawberries if too thick.)


**This cake keeps best in the refrigerator.  For my cupcakes I kept the cupcakes and the frosting separate and fixed them as we ate them.  Just remember to set out the frosting so it can soften for easier spreading...or piping ;)

Happy Baking!

--The Mama    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...